Guidelines for Chapel Conduct
Respect for Our Lord is displayed in the following ways:
1. Genuflect upon entering the presence of our Lord in the exposed Eucharist. If you are unable to genuflect then make a deep bow from the waist.
2. Be mindful of respectful attire.
3. No talking, maintain an austere reverence in the presence of Our Lord. If you need to talk to someone who is in the chapel, leave the chapel and hold your conversation quietly outside.
4. No spontaneous unscheduled events or sermonizing is allowed. Adoration is a peaceful, private time for each adorer.
5. Never eat or drink in the chapel. Chewing gum or candy is not respectful either. Water is permitted if it is required for health reasons.
6. I-pads and music devices are allowed as long as they are for the purpose of accessing spiritual reading and music and no sound can be heard by other adorers. Cell phones are not to be used in the chapel, except for emergency use.
7. Children are not to wander the halls or go to the bathroom unaccompanied by an adult. Do keep them occupied with appropriate books or some quiet activity. Should your child get anxious, please take him/her out so as not to disturb the other adorers.
The following Chapel Rules are to be observed by all adorers
1. Please remember to sign in at the kiosk located on the chapel wall for your hour of adoration at the beginning of your assigned hour. That way the person before you will know that you are in the chapel and they are now at liberty to leave.
2. Committed adorers must wear a “Committed Hourly Adorer” lanyard. Please return the lanyard after your holy hour. (located at the sign in area)
3. All visitors should also sign in, even if it they are not visiting for a whole hour.
4. Check the sign-in kiost before you leave the chapel to make sure the person who is scheduled for the next hour is in the chapel before you leave.
5. Nothing is to be placed on the altar.
6. Spiritual reading material provided is never to be removed from the sanctuary or chapel.
7. No material of any kind is to be placed in the chapel unless authorized by Father Libor.
8. Know the procedures for contacting a substitute or making emergency calls.
SUBSTITUTES FOR ADORATION
Each Adorer commits to being a critical link in an unbroken chain of love offered to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, whereby Ss. Cyril and Methodius Slovak Catholic Church proclaims Him King, by giving to Him the honor and glory due His name through Perpetual Adoration. “These are the ones who have survived the great period of trial. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. It was this that brought them before God’s throne; day and night they minister to Him in His temple. He who sits on the throne will give them shelter…for the Lamb on the throne will shepherd them. He will lead them to springs of life-giving water and God will wipe every tear from their eyes.” Rev. 7: 14-17. It is therefore the responsibility of EACH Adorer to be present for their scheduled hour or to ensure that there is always someone worshiping before the Blessed Sacrament. If you are blessed with more than yourself as an Adorer for your hour – contact them when you know you will be absent (vacation, work, travel etc.) to ensure that they do not also have a conflict. If two or more Adorers have a conflict for the same day, find a substitute. Updated substitute lists can be obtained from your Divisional Leaders. If you are the only Adorer in a given time slot and if you know in advance that you will not be able to make a given date, it is critical to find a substitute to fill your hour of Adoration. A good idea is to find a backup person in advance who will agree to substitute for you if you become suddenly ill. If a substitute cannot be found, call your Divisional Leader.
FOUR WAYS TO FIND A SUBSTITUTE:
1) Use the Adoration Substitute system in place through Adoration Pro.
2) Talk with family and friends and ask them in advance to volunteer to occasionally substitute for you on an as-needed basis. This will help you in a crisis and promote the Adoration Ministry to others.
3) For vacations or other scheduled absences – ask the Adorer in the hour before you to stay 30 minutes longer and ask the Adorer in the hour behind you to come 30 minutes early – thereby covering your hour for the day you will be absent.
One of the most important rules of Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration is to never leave the Blessed Sacrament unattended. You have made a covenant with the Lord to do your part to make sure your hour is covered. It is your responsibility to never allow the Holy Eucharist to go unguarded during your committed hour. Remember that each hour that you spend before the Blessed Sacrament brings you, your family, the world and everyone in the world closer to Christ. Your prayers are joined with all other Adorers at Perpetual Adoration around the globe and those in Adoration in Heaven, in giving unending praise to God. Through Perpetual Adoration you can bring about the radical transformation of the whole world.
WHAT TO DO IF THE NEXT SCHEDULED ADORER DOES NOT COME
The primary rule of Adoration is to NEVER LEAVE THE EXPOSED BLESSED SACRAMENT UNATTENDED. If your hour does not have other scheduled adorers and your replacement does not show, please do the following:
1. Give your replacement 5 – 10 minutes. The next Adorer may be running late.
2. If after 10 minutes, try calling the adorer. (email email@example.com to obtain contact lists)
3. If you get no answer, call Julie Varchetti
4. Make a note of the situation in the sign-in book for that hour, i.e. “No Show”.
5. If no replacement can be found, please stay with the Blessed Sacrament if at all possible.
May God bless you as you begin your journey of Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration at Ss. Cyril & Methodius Slovak Catholic Church. You have been called on this journey, not by man but by the Holy Spirit. As you continue in faith, Ss. Cyril & Methodius Parish asks that you keep us in your prayers so that we will always have the volunteers needed to guard our Most Holy Eucharist in Perpetual Adoration.
The Adoration Team